Friday, March 9, 2007

Inspiration and Hope

I haven't been blogging much recently. Somehow spring break is busier than the regular semester. I've been cleaning up a lot of errands that have been waiting in the wings for me. And it's Ed's birthday on Tuesday. If anyone has a stellar birthday gift idea, send it along.

But much has happened in my world of weight loss. Firstly, don't get excited, I haven't lost a whole bunch of weight. What I did do is meet with Karyn Bender, who is an health counselor focused on integrative nutrition. The idea is to take the best and the brightest from all the diets out there, look at my lifestyle and food preferences and create an eating plan customized for me. So by combining healthy foods and foods I like to eat, hopefully I can achieve overall wellness and health. We meet again in early April and she should have a plan worked up for me. In the meantime, I am going to continue to work some exercise into my schedule. I have realized that while I am often busy, frequently I am also lazy.

In the meantime, a friend of mine has been following the Biggest Loser Club diet. This is based on the television show, "The Biggest Loser." The Web site allows people to plan menus, create a shopping list and hear inspirational stories. She says it has worked for her in a way that many diets haven't by making her believe that she can succeed. She said she feels connected to "Biggest Loser" contestants, and they inspire her. She has been losing a half pound to a pound each week and is thrilled with how livable the diet is.

And finally, thanks to Tess for the great cottage cheese dessert idea. I never would have thought about making a cottage cheese sundae. Excellent!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IN sounds like a good way to go. I didn't know about IN when I started losing weight in 2003 after going through treatment for breast cancer. I found the diet you lose on is the one you can stick to and when you reach goal are able to modify it for life. I really don't understand the conflict between low fat and low carb. Both work. Not every one can do either or. I lost 140 bs by going with the low carb approach. There is nothing unhealthy about it. At 55 I am in better shape than I was at 25.I couldn't handle no or low fat and can't tolerate the products they make into low fat. In most cases they add sugar to make it more palatable. On the other hand I am careful of the fats I do eat. As for exercise I am the original coach potatoe. Curves was the answer for me. In and out in 40 min and only 3 days a week. I did start walking tho. My golden retriever was 35 lbs overweight. He is now fit and healthy like me. Good luck with IN and I will look forward to seeing your post on the advice they give you.