Monday, April 9, 2007

Toxic Beauty

There seems to be more and more in the news about cancer-causing chemicals found in beauty products. I think the focus on this has become more intense because we're beginning to realize that if we can absorb birth control and nicotine replacement through our skin, perhaps our moisturizers and lotions are entering the bloodstream as well.

There are a number of articles and Web site dedicated to organic beauty products. Ironically, many people with sensitive skin have difficulty with organic beauty products -- often they're allergic to the plants used to create the lotions. So each of us has to find the right balance for us.

In the interest of learning more about chemicals in beauty products, I'll be attending an event at Northeastern University called "Revealing the Toxic Truth" at the Curry Student Center Wednesday, April 18, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. The speakers will be on from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., so if you're interested and in the area, you can probably shoot in on your lunch break. I'm really excited because I'm an absolute skin care fanatic. I'll let you know what I find out.

No comments: